Indian Premier League was created for the purpose of joy. It is conducted every year in month of April and May. Some rules became essential to be made for its proper working. Although rules keep on changing with time but some of the basic rules governing IPL are as follows:
Rules regarding the team composition and about the players:
- There must be 16 players in each team of total 8 teams out of which only 11 are playing.
- It is T20 match and each team has to play 20 overs each.
- There should be a coach and a physio in each of the team.
- At least eight members should be from the local place of the team for example, in team Kings XI Punjab team, at least 8 players should be from Punjab.
- At least 2 players should be from BCCI from under 22 pool.
- Number of foreign players cannot be more than 10 in the team and cannot be more than 4 in the playing 11 players.
Acquiring of Players
The owner of the team can have players by the following ways:
- Through buying in annual auction
- By Buying of domestic players
- By Signing the uncapped players
- Through Buying Replacements (which is not available for players.)
- By Trading
Till 2017, the revenue was distributed in the proportion of 54% for franchise, 40% for IPL and 6% as prize money. But after 2017 own wards, the ratio would change to 45% for franchise, 55% for IPL and 5% as prize money. IPL mandates that half of the prize money must be distributed. Generally upto fourth position, the prize money is distributed. For example, in 2015 IPL, the winning team was given about Rs 15 crore, first runner up was given 10 crores, second runner up and the team on fourth was given Rs 7.5 crores each.
Individual Awards of the players:
This cap is given to the top run scorer in the game. It goes throughout the tournament and changes with changes in the runs and is kept by the one eventually scoring the highest as sum of all matches.
It is given to the highest wicket taker throughout the tournament and is worn by the player doing lead and generally changes from match to match or even within the match.
Title and Television rules:
For 5 years DLF had the title of IPL. Then for 3 years till 2015, Pepsico had the title and in 2016 Vivo company had the title rights and from 2017 Sony entertainment and World Sports Group have the rights for 5 years.
Other rules for IPL
- There should be minimum of seven bowlers for completing 20 overs of the match.
- Out of the 7 bowlers, 6 bowlers would bowl 3 overs each and the seventh one would bowl the remaining 2 overs.
- For the match to be declared as complete, all 40 overs should be played irrespective of the time.
- The extra players can be called for batting in place of the playing ones but the extra players canâ€™t bowl.
- If the batting team wishes, it can bat till the last over even if it has reached the winning target.