Chapter I|Chapter II|Chapter III|Chapter IV|Chapter V|Chapter VI|Chapter VIA|Chapter VII|Chapter VIII|Chapter IX|Chapter X|Chapter X-A|Chapter XI – Chapter XII|Chapter XII-A|Chapter XII-B|Chapter XII-BA|Chapter XII-BB|Chapter XII-BC|Chapter XII-C|Chapter XII-D|Chapter XII-DA|Chapter XII-E|Chapter XII-EA|Chapter XII-EB|Chapter XII-F|Chapter XII-FA|Chapter XII-FB|Chapter XII-G|Chapter XII-H|Chapter XIII|Chapter XIV|Chapter XIV-A|Chapter XIV-B|Chapter XV|Chapter XVI|Chapter XVII|Chapter XVIII|Chapter XIX|Chapter XIX-A|Chapter XIX-B|Chapter XX|Chapter XX-A|Chapter XX-B|Chapter XX-C|Chapter XXI|Chapter XXII|Chapter XXIIB|Chapter – XXIII
SPECIAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO TAX ON DISTRIBUTED INCOME OF DOMESTIC COMPANY FOR BUY-BACK OF SHARES
115QA. Tax on distributed income to shareholders.
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other provi- sion of this Act, in addition to the income-tax chargeable in respect of the total income of a domestic company for any assessment year, any amount of distributed income by the company on buy-back of shares (not being shares listed on a recognised stock exchange) from a shareholder shall be charged to tax and such company shall be liable to pay additional income-tax at the rate of twenty per cent on the distributed income.
Explanation.—For the purposes of this section,—
(i)”buy-back” means purchase by a company of its own shares in accordance with the provisions of 86[any law for the time being in force relating to companies];
(ii)”distributed income” means the consideration paid by the company on buy-back of shares as reduced by 87[the amount, which was received by the company for issue of such shares, determined in the manner as may be prescribed88].
(2) Notwithstanding that no income-tax is payable by a domestic company on its total income computed in accordance with the provisions of this Act, the tax on the distributed income under sub-section (1) shall be payable by such company.
(3) The principal officer of the domestic company and the company shall be liable to pay the tax to the credit of the Central Government within fourteen days from the date of payment of any consideration to the shareholder on buy-back of shares referred to in sub-section (1).
(4) The tax on the distributed income by the company shall be treated as the final payment of tax in respect of the said income and no further credit therefor shall be claimed by the company or by any other person in respect of the amount of tax so paid.
(5) No deduction under any other provision of this Act shall be allowed to the company or a shareholder in respect of the income which has been charged to tax under sub-section (1) or the tax thereon.
115QB. Interest payable for non-payment of tax by company.
Where the principal officer of the domestic company and the company fails to pay the whole or any part of the tax on the distributed income referred to in sub-section (1) of section 115QA, within the time allowed under sub-section (3) of that section, he or it shall be liable to pay simple interest at the rate of one per cent for every month or part thereof on the amount of such tax for the period beginning on the date immediately after the last date on which such tax was payable and ending with the date on which the tax is actually paid.
115QC. When company is deemed to be assessee in default.
If any principal officer of a domestic company and the com- pany does not pay tax on distributed income in accordance with the provisions of section 115QA, then, he or it shall be deemed to be an assessee in default in respect of the amount of tax payable by him or it and all the provisions of this Act for the collection and recovery of income-tax shall apply.