Part-I|Part-II|Part-III|Part-IV|Part-V|Part-VI|Part-VIII|Part-IX|Part-IXA|Part-IXB|Part-X|Part-XI|Part-XII|Part-XIII|Part-XIV|Part-XIV|Part-XVI|Part-XVII|Part-XVIII|Part-XIX|Part-XXI|Part-XXII|First Schedule|Second Schedule|Third Schedule|Fourth Schedule|Fifth Schedule|Sixth Schedule|Seventh Schedule|Eighth Schedule|Ninth Schedule|Tenth Schedule|Eleventh Schedule|Twelfth Schedule|Appendix I |Appendix II|Appendix III|Appendix-IV
PART X : THE SCHEDULED AND TRIBAL AREAS
244. Administration of Scheduled Areas and Tribal Areas.
(1) The provisions of the Fifth Schedule shall apply to the administration and control of the Scheduled Areas and Scheduled Tribes in any State 1*** other than 2[the States of Assam3[,4[Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram]]].
(2)The provisions of the Sixth Schedule shall apply to the administration of the tribal areas in 2[the States of Assam 3[,5[Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram]]].
244A. Formation of an autonomous State comprising certain tribal areas in Assam and creation of local Legislature or Council of Ministers or both therefor.
6[(1) Notwithstanding anything in this Constitution, Parliament may, by law, from within the State of Assam an autonomous State comprising (whether wholly or in part) all or any of the tribal areas specified in 7[Part I] of the table appended to paragraph 20 of the Sixth Schedule and create thereforâ€”
(a)a body, whether elected or partly nominated and partly elected, to function as a Legislature for the autonomous State, or
(b)a Council of Ministers,
or both with such constitution, powers and functions, in each case, as may be specified in the law.
(2)Any such law as is referred to in clause (1) may, in particular,â€”
(a)specify the matters enumerated in the State List or the Concurrent List with respect to which the Legislature of the autonomous State shall have power to make laws for the whole or any part thereof, whether to the exclusion of the Legislature of the State of Assam or otherwise;
(b)define the matters with respect to which the executive power of the autonomous State shall extend;
(c)provide that any tax levied by the State of Assam shall be assigned to the autonomous State in so far as the proceeds thereof are attributable to the autonomous State;
(d)provide that any reference to a State in any article of this Constitution shall be construed as including a reference to the autonomous State; and
(e)make such supplemental, incidental and consequential provisions as may be deemed necessary.
(3)An amendment of any such law as aforesaid in so far as such amendment relates to any of the matters specified in sub-clause (a) or sub-clause (b) of clause (2) shall have no effect unless the amendment is passed in each House of Parliament by not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting.
(4)Any such law as is referred to in this article shall not be deemed to be an amendment of this Constitution for the purposes of article 368 notwithstanding that it contains any provision which amends or has the effect of amending this Constitution.]
1. The words and letters â€śspecified in Part A or Part B of the First Scheduleâ€ť omitted by the Constitution (Seventh Amendment) Act, 1956, s. 29 and Sch.
2. Subs. by the North-Eastern Areas (Reorganisation) Act, 1971 (81 of 1971), s. 71, for â€śthe State of Assamâ€ť (w.e.f. 21-1-1972).
3. Subs. by the Constitution (Forty-ninth Amendment) Act, 1984, s. 2, for â€śand Meghalayaâ€ť (w.e.f. 1-4-1985).
4. Subs. by the State of Mizoram Act, 1986 (34 of 1986), s. 39, for â€śMeghalaya and Tripuraâ€ť (w.e.f. 20-2-1987).
5. Subs. by s. 39, ibid., for â€śMeghalaya and Tripura and the Union territory of Mizoramâ€ť (w.e.f. 20-2-1987).
6. Ins. by the Constitution (Twenty-second Amendment) Act, 1969, s. 2.
7. Subs. by the North-Eastern Areas (Reorganisation) Act, 1971 (81 of 1971), s. 71, for â€śPart Aâ€ť (w.e.f. 21-1-1972).