The National Family Health Survey-5 report has revealed some disturbing stats about domestic violence in India. Majority of the population believes that it is fine to physically assault wives if they don’t perform what is expected as their duties.
- 45 % of women and 44 % of men were in favour of assaulting a wife if she refuses to perform her duties.
- In Karnataka, 76.9 % women and 81.9 % men agreed to the same.
- Over 11 % of women and 9.7 % of men believe that the wife deserves physical violence if she refuses to have sexual intercourse.
- When it comes to disrespecting in-laws, 32 % women and 31 % men agreed that the wife should be beaten for this behaviour.
- 28 % women and 22 % men believe that a wife deserves physical assault for neglecting the house and children.
- Women deserve violence when they argue with their husbands, says 22 % of women and 20 % of men.
- 20 % of women and 23 % of men vouched for domestic abuse if there is a suspicion of fidelity.
- 30% women between the age of 18 – 49 have experienced physical violence since the age of 15 years.
- 6% have experienced sexual violence in their lifetime.
- Only 14% women who were victims of physical or sexual assault reported the crime.
- 32% of married women (18-49 years) have experienced physical, sexual, or emotional spousal violence.
- Domestic violence is highest in Karnataka (48 %), followed by Bihar, Telangana, Manipur and Tamil Nadu.
- Physical violence is higher in rural areas (32%) as compared to their counterparts in urban areas (24%).
- 40% women with no schooling are subject to physical violence in comparison to 18% women who completed their schooling.
- In 80% of domestic violence cases, the perpetrator is the husband.
- Women between the age of 40-49 experience more violence in comparison to the women in the 18-19 age bracket.
- The only good thing about this survey is that the violence against women has decreased from 31.2% to 29.3% in the country.
“Experience of spousal physical or sexual violence varies greatly with the level of the husband’s alcohol consumption. 70% of women whose husbands often get drunk have experienced spousal physical or sexual violence, compared with 23% of those whose husbands do not drink,’’ the report says.