Several haunting pictures and videos are getting viral about the Nagaland firing incident. So far, 15 people, including 14 civilians and one Assam Rifles trooper have been killed in the Nagaland ambush.
The state government has set up a high-level Special Investigation Team (SIT) led by an IGP level to investigate the whole incident. Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio led Nagaland government has provided Rs 5 lakh ex-gratia to the families of the 14 deceased and Rs 50,000 to the ones who are injured.
Several haunting pictures & videos are getting viral about the #Nagalandfiring incident. So far, 15 people, including 14 civilians and one #Assam Rifles trooper have been killed in the violence.#NagalandAmbush #nagalandincident #NagalandFiring #monnagaland#NeiphiuRio #AFSPA pic.twitter.com/B7xn5aBRe0
— B&B Associates LLP (@bnb_legal) December 6, 2021
Section 144 Imposed In Mon, Nagaland
Section 144 has been imposed in the Mon district of Nagaland. A public gathering of more than five people and movement of all vehicles including commercial vehicles have been prohibited under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code(CrPc).
The mobile internet services and bulk messaging services have been suspended in the area. TMC has cancelled its visit following the restrictions imposed in the area.
The Hornbill festival, an annual ten-day extravaganza in which different tribes of the state showcase their traditions, has also been cancelled in solidarity with the civilians’ death.
Remove Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) From Nagaland, Demands CM Neiphiu Rio
While attending the funeral of deceased civilians, Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio has demanded the withdrawal of AFSPA from the state.
“AFSPA is a draconian law, which is condemned worldwide. The state of Nagaland wants that the AFSPA be removed immediately. There is no point of continued implementation of AFSPA in Nagaland. There is peace in the state,” said CM Rio.
Security Force’s Only Intention Is To Murder Civilians: Mon Police Files FIR Against 21 Paramilitary Forces
Tizit police have taken a suo moto cognizance of the killings and have filed an FIR against 21 paramilitary forces in connection to the killing of 13 villagers of Oting, Nagaland on Saturday.
The FIR includes charges of murder, attempt to murder, and carrying out an act in a group with a common intention.
“The commandos opened fire at the Bolero pickup van carrying the villagers from work to their homes without any provocation resulting in the killing of many Oting villagers and seriously injured many. At the time of the incident there was no police guide nor security force made any requisition to police station to provide police guide for their operation,” said the FIR.
The FIR added, “Hence it is obvious that the intention of the security force is to murder and injure civilians.”
These 21 forces, based in Jorhat, have a detachment each at IGAR north, Zakhama and IGAR south, Mantripukhri, Imphal.
What Happened In Nagaland? What Is The Reason Behind Nagaland Civilians’ Deaths?
A botched counter-insurgency has led to a massive unrest in the Mon and other neighbouring districts of Nagaland. 13 civilians lost their lives on Saturday and one more on Sunday. A security personnel was also killed during the violence. The incident was claimed to be a case of mistaken identity.
As per the officials, the security officers have a tip-off about a possible movement of insurgents and laid an ambush near Oting village on Saturday. They have set up a counter-insurgency operation in the Mon district that borders Myanmar.
Reportedly, a group of daily-wage labourers from Oting village were returning home from a coal mine in a pick-up van. The security forces opened a fire on them. Six civilians died on the spot while two died later while being taken to the hospital.
Few hours later, the irked mob surrounded the security forces camp and put some of them on fire. They also set three of their vehicles on fire. One soldier was killed during the violence. Five more villagers were killed during the clash as the security forces allegedly opened fire in self-defence.
One more civilian was killed on Sunday after angry villagers surrounded the Assam Rifles camp.